Adopted: June 2019
AXYS is committed to providing a family-friendly atmosphere at our events where all participants feel comfortable. Members of the AXYS community differ in their comfort levels with regards to conversation, personal space and need for quiet time. We respect those differences. AXYS expects all participants to enjoy a welcoming environment free from unlawful discrimination, harassment, and retaliation. We strive to be a community that welcomes and supports people of all backgrounds and identities. This includes, but is not limited to, members of any race, ethnicity, culture, national origin, color, immigration status, social and economic class, educational level, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity and expression, age, size, family status, political belief, religion, and mental and physical ability.
All participants in all AXYS conferences or other activities—whether official or unofficial—agree to comply with all rules and conditions of the activities. Your registration for or attendance at any AXYS event indicates your agreement to abide by this policy and its terms.
- Model and support the norms of respect necessary to promote the conditions for healthy exchange of ideas.
- Speak and conduct yourself appropriately; do not insult or disparage other participants.
- Be conscious of hierarchical structures in the AXYS community, specifically the existence of stark power differentials between those of different ages—noting that fear of retaliation can make it difficult for people to express discomfort, rebuff unwelcome advances, and report violations of the conduct policy.
- Be sensitive to body language and other non-verbal signals and respond respectfully.
- Violent threats or language directed against another person
- Discriminatory jokes and language
- Inclusion of unnecessary sexually explicit, violent, or otherwise sensitive materials in presentations
- Posting (or threatening to post), without permission, other people’s personally identifying information online, including on social networking sites
- Personal insults including, but not limited to, those using racist, sexist, homophobic, or xenophobic terms
- Unwelcome solicitation of emotional or physical intimacy such as sexual advances; propositions; sexual flirtations; sexually-related touching; and graphic gestures or comments about sex or another person’s dress, body, or sexual activities
- Advocating for, encouraging, or dismissing the severity of any of the above behaviors.
Consequences of Unacceptable Behavior
At the AXYS’s sole discretion, unacceptable behavior may result in removal from or denial of access to meeting facilities or activities, without refund of any applicable registration fees or costs. In addition, AXYS reserves the right to report violations to an individual’s employer or institution or to a law-enforcement agency. Those engaging in unacceptable behavior may also be banned from future AXYS activities or face additional penalties.
What to Do if You Witness or Are Subject to Unacceptable Behavior
If you are being harassed, notice that someone else is being harassed, or have any other concerns relating to harassment, please contact the Executive Director or a Board Member. If you witness potential harm to a conference participant, be proactive in helping to mitigate or avoid that harm; if you see or hear something that concerns you, please say something.
Process for Adjudicating Reports of Misconduct
AXYS will contract with an independent entity to manage and adjudicate reported violations of the conduct policy.
Note: This Code of Conduct may be revised at any time by AXYS and its terms are non-negotiable.